Thursday, October 7, 2010

Land of Talk - "Yuppy Flu" (Album: Some Are Lakes)

When I go to a show, I enjoy it.
It's incomprehensible to me how concert bloggers are able to make note of entire set lists.
All I know, for sure, is that they played nearly all the songs I wanted to hear when I saw them at Lincoln Hall last month: including "Yuppy Flu"

It's too bad this band is not popular enough to have had the chance to perform this song live for a television show because the album version (embedded below) doesn't capture how the drum thumps the song through and leaves the audience hanging on with every note Lizzy plays on the guitar.

In my last post I mentioned the underwhelming set of the opener, but they more than made up for it when they joined Land of Talk for almost half of their set. A band that's normally just three people can really give the audience a fresh take on the songs when they more than double the size of musicians. It's clear they've learned well from when they toured with Broken Social Scene (how I first came to know them).

One odd concert tidbit: Lizzy Powell, just like how Kevin Drew did when I first saw them, made special mention of how appreciative they were that concert goers choose to spend money on them during - to use their terms - "a really sucky economy." I can't wait to spend more money on them the next time they come into town.

No comments:

Search This Blog