Monday, December 13, 2010

Broken Social Scene - "Texico Bitches" (NEW VIDEO & Star Slinger Remix download)

Ever since the release of Broken Social Scene's latest album Forgiveness Rock Record, I've gone back and forth between "Texico Bitches" and "Sweetest Kill" for my favorite track off it. It's been a two horse race throughout, even the powerfully awesome "Meet Me in the Basement" video was unable to help the instrumental track crack my personal top two.

My love of these songs is why, when multiple sources on Twitter were announcing the official music video for one of these tracks, I quickly clicked over to watch the video during today's lunch break.

The aforementioned "Meet Me in the Basement" video was very politically charged - it was specifically targeted at (and released just prior to) the G8 Summit held in their hometown of Toronto. This should have led me to expect that the song that targeted Big Oil* would probably be Not Safe/Suitable For Work. However, I am too big of a BSS fan to have waited an extra four plus hours to see the video. Without a doubt I wasn't going to just sit and read countless mini tweet reviews as a tease. Thankfully I have a video enabled phone and was able to watch it covertly making sure nobody could be able to look over my shoulder.

*The album dropped right around the time of the Gulf Spill. An eerie coincidence that made most of us early listeners first gravitate to the ironically upbeat number.

Truth be told, the video isn't too shocking or controversial. It's not near Yeasayer's video for "Ambling Alp" for example. But I think it's safe to warn you if one of more of the following points can make you uncomfortable:
  • Clown makeup
  • Clown makeup on non clowns
  • Wrestling
  • Wrestling between two dudes
  • Oil Wrestling (not the KY, the BP, kind)
  • For lack of a better term, general grabass actions
Hopefully, I didn't spoil too much of it:


Broken Social Scene wasn't done with their "Texico Bitches" news of the day - they made available a free Star Slinger remix of the track today and also announced quite a few tour dates, but none of them in Chicago (yet). Considering half of the FRR album was recorded in Chicago, and the fact they made two Chicago stops in 2010, I think it's safe to assume 2010 won't be a BSSless year around these parts.

Broken Social Scene - Texico Bitches (Star Slinger Remix) by Arts & Crafts

No comments:

Search This Blog